The Alicia Koplowitz Foundation has awarded five scholarships for short periods of specialization and research in psychiatry, psychology or neurosciences of children and adolescents and in neuropediatrics in its 2018 call for applications. The scholarship holders will study for six to twelve months at universities and hospitals in the United States, the United Kingdom and Argentina.
The five selected by the Foundation’s evaluation committee are:
- Laura Carballeira Carrera, who has completed the PIR at the Hospital Universitario HM Puerta del Sur in Móstoles (Madrid) and has requested assistance to spend six months at the Université Paris Descartes, Hôpital Cochin, in Paris (France).
- Inés López Álvarez, clinical psychologist via PIR at the Hospital Universitario La Paz (Madrid), who has requested a six-month stay at The Travistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust, London (United Kingdom).
- Alejandra Rosa Melero González, neuropediatrician at the Hospital Clínico Universitario de Valladolid, who will stay for 12 months at the Hospital de Pediatría of Professor Dr. Juan P. Garrahan in Buenos Aires (Argentina).
- María del Mar Rivas Rodríguez, who has completed her PIR at the Centro de Salud Mental de Getafe (Madrid) and will stay for six months at the NYU Langone Health’s Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry in New York (USA).
- Antonio Rodríguez Moreno, neuroscientist at the Universidad Pablo de Olavide in Seville, who has requested a 12-month stay at the University of Cambridge, Cambridge (United Kingdom).
The Alicia Koplowitz Foundation Short-Stay Scholarships have been awarded annually since 2007 and are aimed at psychiatrists and clinical psychologists with training in the area of childhood or adolescence, neuropediatricians and postdoctoral researchers in the areas of neuroscience, with degrees in medicine, biology or pharmacy. They consist, fundamentally, of financial support for the scholarship holder, since the centers where the research programs are carried out are freely chosen. The aim is to support research in the field of child and youth psychiatry and to expand support for research in the field of neurosciences and neuropediatrics, focusing in particular on early neurodegenerative diseases. The economic endowment is 3,000-4,000 euros per month for stays in foreign hospitals, universities and research institutes that have programs appropriate to the Foundation’s project.
The Evaluation Committee that selected the winning projects was made up of Dr. Lola Picouto, a child psychiatrist and former scholarship holder from the Alicia Koplowitz Foundation; Dr. Laia Villalta, a child and adolescent psychiatrist in the 0 to 5 year old Unit and the Functional Unit for Attention to Sexual Abuse of Minors (UFAM) at the Hospital Sant Joan de Déu in Barcelona and a former scholarship holder from the Alicia Koplowitz Foundation; Dr. Juanjo Carballo, child and adolescent psychiatrist at the Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Marañón in Madrid and a former scholarship holder from the Alicia Koplowitz Foundation; and Dr. Pedro Castro, neuropediatrician at the Pediatrics Department of the Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Marañón in Madrid.